2nd Congress of Croatian Architects, Opatia
18. October 2007
2nd Congress of Croatian Architects - RESPONS-ABILITY, under the auspices of Mr. Stjepan Mesić, President of the Republic of Croatia, which takes place in Opatija from October 18 to 20, is organized by the Croatian Architects´ Association (CAA) and Architects Section of the Croatian Chamber of Architects and Engineers in Civil Engineering.
Congress of Croatian Architects, lasting from October 18 to 20, is a triennial manifestation that deals with contemporary architectural challenges and aims to convey professional discussions to a wider audience. It includes lectures, panel discussions as well as three architectural exhibitions. (Exhibitions are European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture Mies van der Rohe Award, Yearly Exhibition of Projects by Croatian Architects, and Project Zagreb: Transition as Condition, Strategy, and Practice, Harvard University). About 600 participants are expected at the Congress.
During three days, the selected lecturers will present their answers to the Congress topic and work methods. The panel discussions will focus on topics such as Politics - Architecture, Architectural Policies, NL - HR Practice (discussion organised in collaboration with the Netherlands Architecture Institute, NAI), City Planning - Urban Strategies. The lectures and round tables will include the public in discussions.
Lecturers are: Saša Begović (3LHD), Eve Blau (Harvard University GSD), Stefano Boeri (Boeri studio), Elisabeth Diller (Diller&Scoffidio), Teresa Gali´ - Izard, Victoria Harris (Architects for Aid), Juan Herreros Guerra (Abalos&Herreros), Francine Houben (Mecanoo), Hans Ibelings (editor A10), Bjarke Ingels (BIG), Don Murphy (VMX Architects), Hrvoje Njirić (Njiric+), Vasa Perović (Bevk-Perović), Yoshiharu Tsukamoto (Bow Wow), Slavoj Žižek and others.
Participants of panel discussions are:
1) Architecture and politics (in collaboration with the Croatian Television): Marina Matulovic Dropulic, Minister of Environmental Protection, Physical Planning and Construction, Milan Bandic, Mayor of the City of Zagreb, Sasa Randic, CAA President, Helena Knific Schaps, President of the Architects Section of the CCACE
2) Architectural policies: Rob Docter, Tomaž Kancler, Luciano Lazzari, Jerko Rošin, Helena Knifić Schaps
3) NL - CRO Architectural Practice (in collaboration with NAI): Don Murphy, Hans Ibelings, Francine Houben, Saša Randić, Hrvoje Njirić, Saša Begović
4) Architectural and city-planning research: Stefano Boeri, Manuel Gausa Navarro, Luis Falcon, Eve Blau & Ivan Rupnik, Platforma 9,81
5) City Planning - Urban Strategies: Bilbao - Juan Alvaro Alayo Azcarate; Ljubljana - Janez Koželj; Zagreb - Ivica Fanjek
The Congress is held under the auspices of Mr. Stjepan Mesić, President of the Republic of Croatia, while the organization is supported by the Ministry of Environmental Protection, Physical Planning and Construction, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of the Sea, Tourism, Transport and Development, Primorsko - Goranska County and City of Opatija.